Download the COS Guide for Co-development.
As an accredited Continuing Professional Development (CPD) provider of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the Canadian Ophthalmological Society (COS) is mandated to develop high quality and ethically responsible CPD opportunities for Canadian ophthalmologists. Accredited activities, developed or co-developed with or by the COS, must meet the National Standard for Support of Accredited CPD Activities.
By agreeing to co-develop* a CPD activity with the COS, the partner agrees to observe and comply with the following in order to ensure the accreditation standards are met:
- Co-developed CPD activities must be introduced to the COS from the idea stage. COS will not co-develop activities that are already in development or being delivered.
- COS will appoint a physician (an active COS member) to the planning committee as the COS representative who will participate fully in the activities of the planning committee, including needs assessments, program design, implementation, and evaluation. The COS representative will provide accreditation oversight and guidance.
- Industry and/or sponsor representatives are prohibited from sitting on the planning committee.
- The CPD activity must be based on an identified need of the target audience and fit within the CPD priorities identified by the COS. The planning committee must employ a needs assessment strategy to describe gaps in knowledge, skills, performance or health outcomes. Learning objective are developed by the planning committee based on the identified needs. COS and the partner may work together to complete a needs assessment; however, COS will remain in control of the interpretation of the needs assessment.
- The CPD activity budget must be developed in collaboration with COS. COS must review and approve all expenses related to the CPD activity.
- Any financial support for a CPD activity from a partner must be provided in the form of an educational grant and without any influence on program content. COS will take recommendations of educational needs as identified by industry, however final topic titles, presenters and objectives are determined at the complete discretion of the planning committee.
- All funds for the activity are managed through the COS office. COS assumes responsibility for the distribution of funds for all faculty speakers, including the payment of honoraria, travel, accommodation, and any activity-related expenses. COS manages payments to any communications firms or agencies brought on to the project.
If you are interested in co-developing an accredited activity with the COS, please contact [email protected] or phone 1-800-267-5763. To submit an activity for review, please complete the Request Form for Co-development
*Co-development is the process by which two or more organizations, at least one of whom must be a physician organization, prospectively collaborate to develop and implement an accredited educational activity, learning resource or tool. In a relationship of co-development, COS will be responsible for monitoring the development of the CPD activity from initiation to completion, ensuring the activity meets the accreditation standards, according to the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program. COS will assume ultimate authority and accountability for content, implementation, educational and ethical standards. Partners may provide funding for a CPD activity in the form of an educational grant.